Welcome

Why Don't you Stay a While?

My Favs....

True Grit
Stolen: A letter to my captor
The Hunger Games
She's Come Undone
Cutting for Stone
Me Talk Pretty One Day
A Prayer for Owen Meany
Water for Elephants
To Kill a Mockingbird
One Hundred Years of Solitude
A Wrinkle in Time
The Poisonwood Bible
Life of Pi
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Les Miserables
Dracula
The Glass Castle
I Am Legend
The Time Travelers Wife


Michelle's favorite books »
}

Thursday, December 30, 2010

E-Reader Mania

Color Nook Pictures, Images and Photos

For the past few years I have scoffed at e-readers. "Books will never be replaced for me by a computer screen." I would think. "I look at a computer screen all day, why would I want to look at one all night while I read?" Boy was I wrong.

Cue my sister-in-law Marina and her fabulush Christmas present. Out of her purse she whipped her soon-to-be coveted item and asked me what I thought of it. Well, after it had been in my mitts for about 50 seconds I KNEW that I was destined for it. The books and their pictures were alive, absolutely alive on the screen. Did it bother me one second that it was a flat, lit screen?? Nope, its a back-lit screen. This makes it oh so much better. With a tap of my finger I can create a digital bookmark, highlight a passage, leave myself some notes...or share my thoughts on that remark...via twitter or whatever social media platform you use. (I abstain from facebook.)

Now for the kicker, this bad boy can surf the Internet. Yep, in color I can surf the internet even better than I can from my phone.

A typical night in my house.....

The Scene: Brando and I are done with dinner, exercise, cleaning the house and we're flopped on the couch or the floor in front of the TV. Both of our noses are buried in our phones.

Me: Hey babe, did you hear that Utah is having a blizzard?

Brando: Umhm, I did.

Me: Would you look at those leaves on the trees in Central Park??? Why are we not currently at Central Park????

Brando: Looks carefully at the small picture I have shoved underneath his nose. That is really pretty lets plan a trip there.

It is silent for a few moments while I'm preoccupied by my google reader and Brando is carefully reading ESPN.com

But now, our whole lives will change. When I have an extremely interesting picture of Central Park leave, Brandon can view them on a much larger screen!!! I can now post my little thoughts on Sherlock Holmes' League of Red Haired Gentleman straight to Twitter because I know EVERYONE is dying to know what I think about that. Not to mention the Android operating system, you know what that means? Fabulocity.

In all reality, I love the little thing. I love reading late at night and not keeping anyone up with the lamp light on. I love turning pages by tapping on the screen with my index finger. I currently have 6 digital holds with the Phoenix library. That's the limit. Now, I need to know another place to find cheap books. Steals and Deals from B&N has been good, but I'm looking for a five finger discount, digitally...anyone know of some places? Other than Google Books, yes I am in love with that too but my love for all things Google is another post for another day.

Any new books I need to get? I'll pay moola for books that are deemed good enough.

4 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

Oooooooo! I am with you I'm like, 'Eeh... I like real books" but I haven't played with one so I can't be sure. I'm afraid if I had one I'd spend SO MUCH $ on kids books, books for me, and magazine subscriptions.

Breanne Garcia said...

What e reader do you have? Sorry I dont have any good books to recommend... I haven't read anything good for awhile.

Michelle said...

Olivia, it is a HUGE temptation to not just purchase books left and right, especially now that I don't have to wait for them to be shipped. I'm sure my hubby is especially glad that the PHX library carries oodles of e-books. ;)

Michelle said...

Hey Bre, its the Nook. You have the Kindle don't you? Are you getting super excited for your cruise??